When you are a professional in cutting and shaping wood (carpenter or cabinetmaker for example) it is essential to be well equipped to be able to work precisely while guaranteeing excellent performance. Thanks to ever more sophisticated technology, we now have access to a large number of professional tools and machines intended to facilitate our daily work. This is the case of the circular table saw which allows to cut and open any species of wood. But how can you be sure to make the right choice among the different models on the market? To help you, here’s our review of the best table saws around.
Table of Contents
Why use a stationary circular saw?
When you are a professional carpenter, you have to cut many different pieces of wood. For this, it is necessary to invest in a versatile tool capable of tackling more or less hardwood, of different sizes and shapes.
In addition, this work must be carried out as quickly as possible in order to meet the deadlines of the order book. In this sense, the fixed circular saw allows a large quantity of wood elements to be processed quickly and precisely. This tool will also allow you to have control over the shape of the cuts.
Thanks to the table saw you will be able to cut wooden boards in a straight line, but also to make hidden cuts and angle cuts. You will therefore be able to offer your customers works with impeccable finishes. If you are an individual passionate about creating furniture, for example, you can also decide to invest in this machine which will assist you on a daily basis.
Despite the fact that this tool is primarily intended for professional use, it is easy to access and easy to handle. The table with which it is equipped allows great ease of work and good comfort of use. You will be able to install and cut large and long pieces of wood there without hindrance.
The different types of table saws
There are four types of table saws to best suit the needs of each user. You can also find different configurations in each category.
- The circular saw : the table is slotted to allow the adjustable blade to pass through using a mechanism provided for this purpose. You can make cuts from 0 to 45 ° or perform a straight sawing thanks to a sliding guide perpendicular to the blade. The blade remains stationary and the piece of wood is moved towards it. Different blades can be installed depending on the species or the quality of the wood to be cut, which guarantees a clean and smooth cut. It is also called a stationary saw .
- The reversible saw : this model has the advantage of combining the characteristics of a circular saw and a miter saw. To switch from one to the other, just select a mode and make a few adjustments such as installing a carbide or diamond disc. You will understand, this machine combines two technologies in one, it is therefore particularly interesting for a professional purchase.
- The miter saw : the main feature of the miter saw is that it allows you to cut angles from 45 to 90 °. It can of course be used to cut wood, but also PVC elements and even certain metals. It can be manual or electric depending on the model, but whether or not it is fitted with a motor, the cuts made are always clean and precise. On the other hand, it will be preferred electric for large-scale work.
- The radial saw : the advantage of this machine tool is its ability to perform a large number of jobs. It has a circular saw blade attached to an adjustable angle bracket. This time, it is the tool which goes towards the element of wood in order to machine it. Its cutting capacities are exceptional, it is the ideal table saw to combine performance and perfect work.
Which professional table saw to choose?
To be sure that you are making the right choice of equipment, there are a few things you need to consider before purchasing. First of all, you need to ask yourself the question of how often you will be using your table saw . Is it for professional or personal use? To achieve what type of work: construction or complete renovation, or one-off site such as the creation of a piece of furniture, a staircase or the cutting of baseboards?
As for the machine tool itself, it must also meet specific criteria that will satisfy you with every use. You will have to check the guidance and the orientation mode of the sole in order to be able to work easily on different pieces of wood. Then, the power will be an important criterion to consider especially if you are doing heavy work or if you use it professionally. You will find table saw models ranging from 1000 to 3800 Watts.
Finally, you will need to learn about the system allowing you to change the blade, which must be intuitive and safe, as well as the cutting depth in order to be able to work on more or less thick boards without difficulty. It is not always easy to make the right choice yourself, in this sense, be aware that there are DIY material comparators on the internet which can provide you with valuable information and which will guide you in your purchase.
The best brands of table saws for professionals
Faced with the plethora of supplies on the tooling market, it is sometimes difficult to make a choice. Many brands, more or less famous, offer tools for sale, and we often need a comparison to navigate. To help you out, we’ve provided an update on the best brands of table saws for professionals.
World leader in the professional tooling market, Makita offers reliable, ergonomic and efficient table saws . In a price range ranging from 400 to 800 € approximately, you will be sure to get yourself high-performance equipment.
The 1500 Watt, 260mm diameter MLT100N model will deliver clean straight or bevel cuts, even on small parts. The blade adjustment is precise and you will have storage space for the blades and the fence. Count 600 € to acquire it.
The Bosch brand needs no introduction as it has proven itself in the field of tooling. Established in this sector since 1886, it is distinguished by its ability to always renew itself and to offer high technological performance equipment.
With its GTS 10 JRE table saw, Bosch offers a high-performance and versatile machine. Extremely light (26 kg) and compact (81 x 63.5 x 40 cm), it is very easy to handle and you can perform straight cuts as well as angles. It will cost you around 700 € to purchase.
Less known to the general public, but appreciated by private and professional DIY enthusiasts , Ryobi is a dynamic and innovative brand. It offers a whole range of power tools and garden tools for everyone.
Its RTS1800EFG electric table saw model offers excellent value for money. Indeed, for around 250 € you will have a machine with a power of 1800 Watts and 254 mm in diameter. Ergonomic, reliable, and economical, you will be sure to make the right purchase.
Leader in wireless technologies, Metabo has existed since 1923 and today has 25 subsidiaries around the world. With the aim of facilitating work on the site, the brand competes in ingenuity to create efficient and mobile machines .
The saw on TS 216 Floor table of Metabo offers professional quality work for a featherweight (23 kg) and compact size (67 x 65 x 35.5 cm). With a power of 1500 Watts, it will allow you to easily machine any type of wood. You will find it on the market for 600 €.
Named after the entrepreneur Raymond DeWalt who invented the radial saw in 1922, the brand was born in 1924. Specializing in tools and construction equipment, it is now part of the large global group Black and Decker.
With its model DWE7491-QS , the brand offers a light, reliable, and ultra-resistant tool. Thanks to its cast iron table, it is resistant and achieves impeccable cuts of wood. With a power of 2000 Watts, it is versatile and well equipped. Its price is currently € 670.
Specialized in the fields of wood construction and carpentry, the German brand has 90 years of activity. It offers top-of-the-range machines and power tools and prides itself on being alongside craftsmen in order to best help them in their daily lives.
In this sense, the CS 50 EBG PRECISIO model from Festool will above all be aimed at professionals who need fast and powerful mobile equipment. Equipped with multiple options and powerful basic functions, its price is 1,400 €.
What are the options to look for on a table saw?
A table saw should have basic features while others will be optional. Depending on how you use them, some will be essential and others less. However, to be successful with your purchase, it is necessary that you know the list of options available according to the brands and models. We can thus find:
- A table extension that will allow you to cut larger than normal wooden planks.
- Saw guides to keep your cuts clean and even.
- A guard, essential protection against the blade.
- A riving knife . This allows you to gradually evacuate the wood debris that could hinder your work. It must meet specific regulations.
- A sliding cutting carriage .
- Steel, carbide or diamond blades .
- A laser to indicate the cut line.
- A system sucking up the dust emitted when cutting wood.
- A handle for a better grip.
- Stops to adjust the height of the blade.
- The inclination of the blade to allow angle cuts.
- The possibility of adjusting the cutting speed to cut all kinds of materials.
How to use a professional table circular saw?
The use of a professional table saw requires some skill. Although it is easy to learn, it is nonetheless a powerful and dangerous machine. You must therefore protect yourself against any risk before use.
When you need to slice a plank of wood, start by turning on your tool. You will observe the circular blade which comes into action and you will be able to gently approach your piece of wood to the blade, unless you have a radial saw as we have seen previously. Do this for all the cuts you need to make. Once the machining is finished, do not forget to clean the slot in the table and evacuate the wood dust generated.
How much does a stationary circular saw cost?
As you will understand, the price bracket for obtaining a stationary circular saw varies between 500 and more than 3000 € depending on the brands and models but also depending on the options included. To make the right purchase, you need to take your professional and personal circumstances into account.
Indeed, it will be easier to invest in high-end equipment to equip a workshop or a factory because of the efficiency and precision required. However, you can find machines with a very good performance by trusting the market leaders. Anyway, do not hesitate to rely on online comparators who will teach you advice and the best rates in force.
We hope that this comparative guide to the best table saws of the moment will help you orient yourself towards the machine tool ideally suited to your needs. Do not hesitate to contact the professionals in the sale of machines and tools before proceeding to the purchase.